The microwave could very well be one of the most neglected appliances in your home. As long as it looks decent on the outside, it is typically left alone until the inside just becomes too bad to ignore. The result of all this is that when you do clean it, it is typically in very bad shape. Here is how you can clean your microwave the easy and effective way.
- The first thing that you need to do is add a cup of water to a microwave safe dish and place it into your microwave oven. Heat the water for three to five minutes. The water will boil and the steam will soften and loosen the food that is stuck to the sides of your microwave. Be careful when opening the door as the steam can rush out and hit you in the face.
- Carefully remove the water and dispose of it. Remove the racks (if equipped) and the tray from the bottom of the microwave. Place them in your kitchen sink and fill the sink with water to soak them.
- While the trays and racks are soaking, take a cloth dampened with soapy water and wipe down the surfaces of the microwave. Pay special attention to the roof of the microwave and the door.
- Now, you can scrub the trays and racks from the microwave that have been soaking in the sink. Rinse them well, dry them off and return them to the microwave.
That’s it. You can now go back to your life and forget about the microwave again. You will probably tell yourself that you are going to keep up with it more from now on, but you won’t.
Microwave Cleaning Tips
- You can add a few tablespoons of vinegar to the water to help disinfect your microwave.
- If odor is a problem, a few teaspoons of baking soda added to the boiling water will help get rid of it.
- Do not use abrasive cleaners in your microwave. They can damage the surface.